Social media in business can sometimes be an area businesses know they should be getting involved in but just don’t know where to start or how to use their time effectively. For lots of businesses what they also have to realise is Social media is an extension of your brand online and not necessarily a direct sales tool.
The key to social media is to be social. By that I mean if you have social profiles on twitter or Facebook then to get any response from them at all you have to interact with other users. Adding a tweet now and then and expecting a barrage of phone calls will not happen.
Interaction can be done indifferent ways below are ways to interact on three of the main platforms.
– Twitter – Re-tweet, favourite tweets, tweet other users, reply to users.
– Facebook – Like status updates, message users, add interesting updates to gain likes, comment on updates.
– Linkedin – Connect with people you know, connect with possible sales targets, like posts, comment on posts.
Here are some key points to think about when working with social networks.
– Research and understand the different social media platforms. There are lots of them out there and they all work in different ways. The graphic at this link gives you a tongue in cheek quick run through. https://twitter.com/TomLinnUK/statuses/453821305553309696
– Think which platforms would suit your business more also look at what your competitors are using and how they use them.
– If your competitors are not using them then maybe you should be? Have a look around see if they look like the kind of tool your customers would use.
– Nobody knows your customers better than you and your company so although you can outsource social media the person or company doing the social media needs to have an in depth knowledge of your business as anything they say/do is a reflection on your company.
Once you get a better understanding of how the different platforms work that is when you can make the decision on which to use and how to interact with others.
If you would like any more information or a quick chat connect with me below